ECONOMIC CALENDAR:Tuesday: JOLTS Wednesday: EIA Petroleum Status Report, Treasury Budget Thursday: Jobless Claims, Import and Export Prices Friday: Retail Sales, PPI-FD, Business Inventories, Consumer Sentiment
- Construction spending grows .03% in March. Spending on commercial and residential construction reached its highest level in eight years after a strong gain in February.
- Motor vehicle sales close to record month. After a slow start to the year, April light vehicle sales are expected to grow 5.0%, setting a new monthly high and putting U.S. automakers on track to beat last year’s sales record.
- China’s trade slumps. Imports and exports in the world’s second-largest economy contracted sharply in April in the latest sign that weak demand is prolonging China’s slowdown.
- March factory orders increase 1.1%. Orders to U.S. manufacturers increased modestly after dropping in February. Economists hope that the dollar’s drop will help the manufacturing sector bounce back.
Quote Of The Week
“I’m wholehearted about whatever I do.” – Melinda Gates
Recipe Of The WeekGrilled Brussels Sprouts Salad Convert sprout haters with this crunchy, tangy salad. Serves 4 Ingredients:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed and quartered
- 8 radishes, bottoms removed and thinly sliced
- 2 small tart apples, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan or other salty cheese